Julian Assanges health is waning which is causing suffering on his part. 6 years in political asylum in a small room in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London is taking it’s toll on his health. 6 years is a long time for a man to go with no sunlight, no fresh air, no proper exercise or medical care. To top it off, on March 28th, President Lenin Moreno of Ecuador removed his rights to the outside world by taking away his internet access, phone and right to have visitors. This is something you do to a prisoner, not a political refugee. The effects of this are irreversible. He will never be the same man.
Here is a list of medical conditions currently known about Julian Assange:
- Swelling in the legs or edema caused by lack of proper exercise. Unfortunately, edema is not a good sign. Edema often is a sign of of a more severe condition.
- A root canal is needed for a tooth that was broken while he was in prison in the UK over six years ago. The pain must be excruciating. We all know that if it is infected and isn’t taken care of it can cause serious complications
- Shoulder pain. He needs tests done to see what is wrong. He has difficulty raising his hands over his shoulders.
- Persistent cough. This can be from constantly breathing fresh air or a sign of another problem.
- Vitamin D deficiency. Lack of sunlight commonly causes many problems including high blood pressure, depression, heart disease and osteoporosis. This may be the cause of his cough. He also has loss of bone density which is osteoporosis.
- Vision issues. This is caused from not viewing anything further away then perhaps 20 feet. The furthest view he would have would be the hallway in the Embassy.
Even prisoners are given time outside, exercise and proper medical care. The UN has ruled this is an illegal detainment and is against his human rights and yet the UK continues to hold him back from leaving over a supposed bail breaking charge. However, there were never any charges against Assange, only allegations from Sweden and they were dropped in May of 2017. How can you arrest someone for breaking bail on an issue that no longer exists? The UK does not want to arrest him for this, they want to hold him for extradition to the US to face espionage charges for publishing documents.
Which is a whole other issue involving Free Press and Free Speech rights which I have discussed in detail before. Assange is an innocent man who is slowly deteriorating in front of our eyes. We as a human race have to stop this. He put his life on the line that we would know the truth. He should not be punished for publishing documents that were given to him. If they prosecute him, then they need to prosecute other media such as the New York Times and Washington Post who have also published the same thing.
By silencing him, they have already set a precedent on silencing other independent journalists and censoring them. It has begun to happen already with the silencing of people like Alex Jones. Unlike other journalists however, Assange is suffering. Many government officials have even called for his death. Others want to see him tortured as seen in this document Wikileaks posted from the Stratfor-Email log on wikileaks.com
If we do nothing for this man, we are as guilty as they are. He needs everyone who reads this to stand up and fight against this disgusting atrocity against human rights. If they can do it to him, they can do it to you and me. They can frame us for a crime, detain us illegally and slowly martyr us for simply telling the truth. We must end this before it is too late. Do not walk way from this wicked and cruel act of villainy by a super power overstepping it’s boundaries.
This is just an example of the US government’s overreach and blatant disregard for human life. Please stand up and fight for this man today. Pick up the phone. Write a letter. Sign Petitions. Attend a vigil/demonstration. Do something!